On "Some Other Time" Ayako combines the hard swinging bebop language of Bud Powell with the sophisticated harmonic elegance of Bill Evans, but with a brilliant creativity all her own and one guiding theme: melody!
These are songs without words:
1. Sunrise (Ayako Shirasaki)
2. 3 Steps Forward (Ayako Shirasaki)
3. Yosaku-与作 (Kiminori Nanasawa)
4. Some Other Time (Leonard Bernstein)
5. Oleo (Sonny Rollins)
6. April in Paris (Vernon Duke)
7. My Man’s Gone (George Gershwin)
8. Long Ago and Far Away (Jerome Kern)
9. Sophisticated Lady (Duke Ellington) – piano solo
10. Antagata Dokosa – あんたがたどこさ (Japanese Traditional)
11. Peace of Mind (Ayako Shirasaki)
12. Hope (Lars Jansson)
Ayako is joined by Noriko Ueda on bass. Noriko, also living in NY, is the winner of the third annual BMI Foundation/Charlie Parker Jazz composition Prize. She played with for example: Frank Wess, Grady Tate, Kenny Barron...
On drums: Quincy Davis. Davis has toured with notable leaders including Benny Green, Cyrus Chestnut...
Recorded on May 10 2013 at Systems Two, New York, USA
After her CD release tour in Japan this July you can see Ayako performing live this fall again in Japan and Switzerland:
October 5 - "Some Other Time'" in Seijo Hall - trio concert in Japan
November 19-24 - Lucerne Festival (Switzerland)
A European Tour for May 2014 is currently being scheduled.
"Some Other Time" is available at amazon, itunes, cdbaby etc. but not to be found on streaming services.